5. Legal grounds for processing
Data protection law requires us to only process your personal data if we satisfy one or more legal grounds. These are set out in data protection law and we rely on a number of different grounds for the processing we carry out. These are as follows:
In certain circumstances, we process your personal data after obtaining your consent to do so for the purposes of:
- sending you marketing communications about our products and services;
- sharing your name, email address, postal address and telephone number with our trusted business partners so that they may market to you about their own similar products and services;
- conducting marketing research;
- obtaining your credit score so that we can establish the best possible payment terms we are able to offer to you.
Necessary for the performance of a contract and to comply with our legal obligations
It is necessary for us to process your basic contact details, payment details and information about the business you represent for the performance of the Trading Terms or Terms of Trading between us. In particular, we rely on this legal ground to
- provide you with the products and services;
- communicate with you about the products and services that we provide to you, including to let you know about major changes to those products and services or to the Trading Terms or Terms of Trading between us or to any related information;
- provide and improve customer support; and
- notify you about changes to our service
If you choose not to give some or all of the aforementioned information to us, this may affect our ability to provide our products and services to you.
In certain circumstances, we also use your personal data only to the extent required in order to enable us to comply with our legal obligations, including to detect, investigate and prevent fraud.
Necessary for the purposes of our legitimate business interests or those of a third partyIt is sometimes necessary to collect and use your personal data for the purposes of our legitimate interests as a business, which are to:
- provide you with products and services that are as useful and beneficial as possible, including by personalising our contact with you and making sure we tell you about all the offers that are relevant to you;
- better understand our customer base so that we can improve our products and services and marketing activities (which could also benefit you);
- comply with our contractual obligations to third parties;
- develop and improve our Site to enhance the customer experience;
- train our staff so that we can provide you with a better customer service;
- respond to any enquiries or complaints you have made, or deal with any dispute which may arise in the course of us providing our products and services to you; and
- to ensure that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- ensure effective operational management and internal administration of our business, document retention, compliance with regulatory guidance and exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where we think there is a risk that one of your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms may be affected we will not process your personal data unless there is another legal ground for us to do so (either that we have obtained your consent to the processing or it is necessary for us to perform our contract with you or to comply with our legal obligations).